Sunday, December 28, 2014

New York City

Hey guys! So, yesterday we went to New York City. The plan was to go ice skating in Central Park, then visit the Rockefeller Center, catch some tango music at a cafe, eat dinner, catch some MPB (Brazilian pop music), and then go home. There were twelve of us total: my aunt and uncle, parents, brother, two cousins, my cousins' aunt and uncle and two cousins, and me.

Pretty much nothing went as planned, for better or for worse.

First, we got to the city and found parking, but when we got to the ice skating rink at Central Park the line was really long, so we decided to skip that and head to the Rockefeller Center to hang out and see if the rink was better there. So we walked through part of Central Park, grabbed some giant pretzels (SO good!) and headed towards the Rockefeller Center. On te way we got sidetracked by a bunch of guys doing tricks on the street. We kept going, but then we realized that if we wanted to make the tango performance we would have to leave before visiting the Rockefeller Center, so we got on the subway and headed to the cafe. But when we got there something had gone wrong with our reservations. So basically everything we had planned so far hadn't worked out! We did get free snacks and drinks though, on the house, and we had dinner right after.

After dinner we were planning on going to the MPB performance at Zinc Bar, which was a jazz club, but my brother, cousins, and uncle wanted to go home. At first my youngest cousin was going to stay but my dad bribed her with his iPad and she immediately decided to go home! By now there were only 8 of us left and we headed for the jazz club. The music was really good, so we decided after the first set (which was about an hour) to stay for the next set. Now there were four of us: my parents, aunt, and me. It was really fun, and the band was really good. After the end of the second set it was 12:30 AM, but I wanted to stay for the next one so we did. They had an electric bass, electric guitar, saxophone, flute, drums, and vocalist. For those of you who have never listened to MPB, I highly recommend it. By the end of the performance it was 2 in the morning! We didn't get home until 3:30 AM but it was the most fun I've  had in a long time.   

And that is how, at 12 years old, I got to go clubbing with my parents in New York City until 3:30 in the morning.


Panorama of Columbus Circle



New York City (Manhattan)

The Jazz club where we listened to the MPB band.



I miss all you guys! 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Simone,

    Your day in the city sounds awesome. I would have loved to listen to jazz with you!

    ReplyDelete